How can you resist this ginger slice, all crisp base and fudgy topping? We've made this gluten-free without compromising on flavour or texture. You can top with slivers of crystallised ginger if you'd prefer to forgo the syrup.
- 100 gm (¾ cup) gluten-free plain flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 90 gm (¾ cup) almond meal
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 125 gm unsalted butter, chopped and softened
- 110 gm (½ cup) brown sugar
- 75 gm unsalted butter, chopped
- 90 gm (¼ cup) golden syrup
- 240 gm (1½ cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 55 gm caster sugar
- 2 tbsp julienned ginger
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 12.5cm x 35cm loose-based tart tin.
- 2For slice base, whisk flour, baking powder, almond meal and ginger in a bowl until combined. Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Fold in flour mixture until well combined. Press mixture firmly into base of tin and prick all over with a fork. Bake until light golden (25-30 minutes). The base will puff up, gently press pastry down into the tin with a clean tea towel.
- 3Five minutes before base is cooked make ginger icing. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and stir over low heat until butter melts and mixture is smooth (3 minutes). Pour warm icing over the cooked base while both are still hot then set aside to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, for ginger syrup, combine sugar, ginger and 60ml water in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer until slightly thickened (3 minutes). Cool. Slice ginger crunch with a hot knife and drizzle with syrup to serve.
Slice without syrup will keep for 3 days in an airtight container.