This simple dish celebrates the beauty of root vegetables, one of the true joys of winter.
- 360 gm baby carrots (about 2 bunches), trimmed
- 110 gm baby turnips (about 1 bunch), trimmed
- 20 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- ¼ tsp white sugar
- 160 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Cook carrots and turnips in a large saucepan of boiling salted water over high heat until just tender (2-3 minutes), drain and set aside.
- 2Heat butter in a large frying pan, add carrots, turnips and sugar, sauté over medium-high heat until golden (1-2 minutes). Season to taste, cover, reduce heat to low, cook until vegetables are tender (2-3 minutes). Add stock, increase heat to high and cook, shaking pan, until liquid is reduced to a glaze (4-5 minutes). Stir through parsley, season to taste, serve with <a href="squab-braised-with-juniper.htm">squab braised with juniper</a>.