Not technically a pasta but often served as a pasta course.
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 450 gm veal sweetbreads, (see note)
- 300 gm frozen baby peas (2½ cups)
- 200 ml pouring cream
- 100 gm hazelnuts, roasted, peeled and coarsely chopped, to serve
- 500 gm Desiree potatoes
- 1 egg
- 125 gm plain flour
- 40 gm finely grated parmesan (½ cup)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1For gnocchi, cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for
15 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly, then peel and pass through a potato ricer or mash until smooth. Combine potato and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, mix gently until just combined and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil over high heat. On a lightly floured work surface roll portions of the dough to 1.5cm-thick lengths and cut into 2.5cm pieces. Cook gnocchi in batches in boiling water until they float to the surface. Using a slotted spoon remove gnocchi to a bowl of iced water. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add sweetbreads and cook over high heat until golden. Drain excess fat, then add peas, pouring cream and gnocchi and simmer for 2 minutes or until cream is reduced and gnocchi warmed through. Scatter with hazelnuts and parmesan and serve immediately.
Note To prepare sweetbreads, bring 1 litre of salted water to the boil with 1 tbsp white vinegar, add sweetbreads and simmer for 5 minutes or until cooked. Drain, peel skin and remove fat and cut into 2cm pieces.