You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 6 eggwhites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 250 gm raw caster sugar
- 40 gm brown sugar
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 35 gm cornflour (¼ cup)
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 3 bananas, thickly sliced
- 2 mangoes, thickly sliced
- 500 gm pineapple, thinly sliced (about ½)
- Pulp of 2 passionfruit
- To serve: mint
- 1 kg thick plain yoghurt
- 250 gm mango, coarsely chopped (about 1 mango)
- 80 gm raw caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 300 gm sour cream
Rum and lime caramel
- 330 gm raw caster sugar (1½ cups)
- 70 ml golden rum
- 60 ml lime juice (¼ cup)
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint
- 1For mango yoghurt, place yoghurt in a sieve lined with muslin over a bowl and refrigerate to drain (overnight). Process mango, sugar and juice in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to the simmer, then stir occasionally until syrupy (2-3 minutes). Refrigerate until chilled. Whisk drained yoghurt and sour cream to combine in a bowl, fold through mango mixture and refrigerate until required.
- 2Preheat oven to 120C. Whisk eggwhite, cream of tartar and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until firm peaks form (4-5 minutes). Whisking continuously, gradually add sugars, a tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy (4-5 minutes), then whisk in vanilla seeds and fold in cornflour and vinegar. Form mixture into a 20cm-diameter circle on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake until crisp and dry (1½-2 hours), then turn off oven and cool completely with door ajar.
- 3Meanwhile, for rum and lime caramel, stir sugar and 180ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, cook until dark caramel (5-6 minutes), then remove from heat and carefully add 100ml water (be careful as hot caramel will spit). Add rum, lime juice and mint and cool to room temperature. Strain (discard mint) and refrigerate until required. Rum and lime caramel will keep refrigerated for a week.
- 4Top pavlova with mango yoghurt, then pile on fruit, drizzle with a little rum and lime caramel, scatter with mint and serve with remaining caramel on the side.