- 500 gm black grapes, such as muscatel
- 650 ml pink moscato
- 200 gm caster sugar
- Thinly peeled rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 8½ titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- To serve: sugared grapes (see note)
- 400 ml pink moscato
- 800 ml pouring cream
- 10 egg yolks
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 1For moscato ice-cream, simmer moscato in a saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced by half (8-10 minutes), add cream and return to the simmer. Meanwhile, whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and very pale (4-5 minutes). Gradually add cream mixture, whisking continuously, then return to pan and stir continuously until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon thickly (5-6 minutes). Strain into a bowl, refrigerate until chilled, freeze in an ice-cream machine, then freeze until required. Makes about 1.5 litres.
- 2Thinly slice half the grapes and set aside. Coarsely crush remaining grapes in a large saucepan, add moscato, sugar, rind, juice and 200ml water and bring to the boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until grapes are pulpy (4-5 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve (do not press on solids), discard solids and return 250ml liquid to pan. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to pan, stir to dissolve, then add remaining liquid. Pour half the liquid into a 1.4 litre jelly mould and refrigerate until almost set (2-3 hours). Meanwhile, refrigerate remaining liquid until beginning to set, then stir in sliced grapes and pour over jelly. Refrigerate until set (overnight).
- 3Dip jelly mould briefly in hot water, loosen jelly from sides of mould with a knife, place a serving plate on top and invert jelly. Remove mould and serve jelly immediately with moscato ice-cream and sugared grapes.
Note For sugared grapes, whisk an eggwhite with 1 tbsp water. Snip grapes into bunches, dip in eggwhite, then caster sugar, shake off excess and stand on a rack until dried.
Drink Suggestion: The same pink moscato you've used in the dish. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am