- 450 gm cucumbers (1-2), halved lengthways, seeded and grated
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp strained lemon juice or cider vinegar
- 1 scant tbsp fresh oregano leaves, or 1 tsp dried Greek oregano
- A handful of cured black olives, pitted
- 1Wrap the grated cucumber in absorbent paper or a tea towel and squeeze to remove excess moisture.
- 2Combine the sugar, lemon juice and a pinch of fine sea salt in a serving dish. Add the cucumber and toss. Sprinkle over the oregano (if using dried oregano, crush it between your fingertips). Mix well with two forks, then cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 3Decorate the salad with the olives just before serving. Serve chilled.
Note*The Food of Morocco ($65, hbk) by Paula Wolfert is published by Bloomsbury. This recipe has been reproduced with minor GT* style changes.