- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped, plus 2 extra, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 300 gm small green lentils
- 100 ml red wine
- 500 ml chicken stock (2 cups)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 oregano sprig, plus extra leaves to serve
- ½ bunch cavolo nero, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/4 cup)
- 2 thin cacciatore salami, thinly sliced
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, chopped garlic and chilli flakes, and sauté until onion is tender (4-5 minutes). Add lentils and red wine, simmer until wine is reduced by half (1-2 minutes), then add stock, bay leaf and oregano sprig. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, half-covered with a lid, until lentils are just tender (20-25 minutes). Stir in cavolo nero and simmer until just wilted (2-3 minutes). Discard bay leaf and oregano sprig, add vinegar, and season generously to taste.
- 2Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add salami and fry, turning once, until crisp (1-2 minutes). Add sliced garlic and fry until light golden (20-30 seconds). Remove from heat and season to taste.
- 3Spoon lentil mixture onto a platter, top with salami and garlic, and serve scattered with extra oregano.
Drink Suggestion: Savoury young nebbiolo. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am