- 2 green mangoes, cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 2 green papaya, cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 1 cup coarsely torn coriander, plus extra, to serve
- 90 gm (½ cup) coarsely grated fresh coconut
- 25 gm (¼ cup) dried shrimp (see note), soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 4 red shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, cut into julienne
- 40 gm tamarind pulp (see note)
- 100 gm light palm sugar
- Juice of 2 limes, or to taste
- 40 ml fish sauce, or to taste
- 1For tamarind dressing, soak tamarind pulp in 80ml boiling water to soften (5 minutes). When cool enough to handle, squash pulp with your fingers into the liquid to dissolve as much as possible, then pass through a coarse sieve (discard solids). Pound palm sugar until smooth with a mortar and pestle, add lime juice, fish sauce, tamarind water and 80ml water, stir to dissolve sugar, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl, add tamarind dressing, toss to coat and serve within an hour scattered with coriander.