Here's a simple and delicious way to serve beef. You can cook this on the barbecue if you're having a full outdoor Christmas; however, the meat is at its best served at room temperature.
- 1 beef fillet (about 1.6kg), trimmed of sinew
- 70 ml olive oil
- 35 gm dried green peppercorns, coarsely ground (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds
- 200 gm crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely grated horseradish, or horseradish purée
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Truss beef at 3cm intervals with kitchen string. Brush with 2 tbsp oil and roll in ground peppercorns, pressing so they stick. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add beef and sear, turning occasionally, until brown (1-2 minutes each side). Place on a wire rack over a roasting tray and roast in oven until cooked to your liking (35-40 minutes for rare). Cover loosely with foil then set aside to rest and cool to room temperature.
- 2For caraway cream, dry-roast caraway seeds in a frying pan over medium heat until fragrant (30 seconds). Transfer to a mortar and pound with pestle until coarsely crushed. Set aside to cool, then combine in a bowl with remaining ingredients, season to taste and serve with thickly sliced beef.
Drink Suggestion: A young Coonawarra cabernet. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am