Here we've scorched apricots on the grill and served them with torn jamón, shaved Manchego and peppery rocket leaves. Think of it as a twist on the good old melon-prosciutto routine. The mixture would also be great served on charred sourdough.
- 6 apricots, halved
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 8 thin slices jamón Ibérico, or other dry-cured ham, such as prosciutto, torn
- 1½ cups (loosely packed) rocket
- ½ cup mint
- ¼ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 30 gm Manchego, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Coarsely chopped smoked or roasted almonds, to serve
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- Juice and finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar, or to taste
- 1Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high. Drizzle cut sides of apricots with oil, season to taste and grill cut-side down until charred and just tender (2-3 minutes). Cool briefly and season to taste.
- 2For sherry vinaigrette, combine garlic, juice and rind in a jar and set aside for a few minutes to soften the garlic. Add remaining ingredients, season generously to taste and just before serving shake well to combine.
- 3Arrange grilled apricots and torn jamón Ibérico on serving plates and drizzle with a little sherry vinaigrette. Combine rocket, mint and onion in a bowl, drizzle with a little dressing, season to taste and toss to combine, scatter salad over apricots and jamón, top with Manchego and almonds and serve.