Lobster meat stands up really well to robust flavours such as this confit garlic and tomato.
- 5 small live green lobsters (about 800gm each)
- 3 lemons, halved
- 6 vine leaves in brine, drained
Confit garlic and tomato
- 600 ml olive oil
- 20 garlic cloves
- 750 gm vine-ripened truss cherry tomatoes, separated
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 6 pieces of lemon rind, removed with a peeler
- 1For confit garlic and tomato, combine oil and garlic in a saucepan over low heat. Cook until garlic is tender but not coloured (20-30 minutes). Add tomatoes, thyme and rind, cook until tomatoes are tender and garlic is light golden (20-30 minutes). Set aside, keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, place lobsters in freezer for 30 minutes to render them insensible. Heat a char-grill or barbecue to high heat. Remove lobsters from freezer, spike them in the base of the head and split them in half with a heavy knife. Separate heads and legs from tail and reserve (see note). Brush tail meat with some confit oil, season to taste and grill, cut-side down, until golden (3-5 minutes), then turn and cook until just cooked through (3-5 minutes). Meanwhile, grill lemons, cut-side down, until golden (2-4 minutes). Transfer lobsters and lemons to a platter, spoon over warm confit garlic and tomato and drizzle with confit oil (see note).
- 3Meanwhile, brush vine leaves with a little confit oil and grill until charred and crisp (1-2 minutes on each side). Scatter vine leaves over lobsters and serve warm.
Note Lobster shells can be frozen for future use in sauces, soups and stocks. Remaining confit oil can be refrigerated for use in pastas, salads and other dishes.