Make sure you use a quality Italian pork sausage (and one that has a bit of chilli in it, too). The flavours will work perfectly with this sweet and sour tomato sauce.
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp currants
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 4 spicy pork Italian sausages (about 400gm)
- 1Combine vinegar and currants in a small non-reactive bowl and set aside until currants are plump (10-15 minutes).
- 2Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, add half the oil, all the onion and all the garlic and stir occasionally until soft (7-10 minutes). Add tomato and stir occasionally until thick (5-7 minutes). Add sugar, pine nuts, currants and vinegar, stir, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Heat remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add sausage and turn occasionally until golden and cooked through (7-10 minutes). Remove from heat, slice thickly and serve immediately with sauce.