Australia has amazing sardines. Unfortunately, most people have grown up eating them from a can. Please give them another try - you won't be disappointed.
- 12 sardines, cleaned
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 6 ciabatta slices, 5mm thick
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each of hot smoked paprika and ground cumin
- 1For chimichurri, whisk ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 2Preheat a char-grill or barbecue to high heat. Brush sardines with olive oil and season with sea salt. Grill until just cooked (4-5 minutes each side), then place in a single layer in a large non-reactive baking dish. Spoon chimichurri over sardines, set aside to marinate (2 hours).
- 3Just before serving, brush bread with olive oil and grill until toasted (1-2 minutes each side). Serve sardines, drizzled with chimichurri, on ciabatta crostini.
Drink Suggestion: Pungent sauvignon blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am