It might be just an illusion, but we think scallops taste better when they're cooked in the shell. A touch of garlic butter doesn't hurt either. Look out for green garlic, the immature plant that has a milder garlic hit. If unavailable, substitute regular garlic or spring onion, depending on the strength of flavour you're after.
- 250 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 4 green garlic stalks, finely chopped
- 18 scallops in the shell
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to high heat. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, add garlic, sauté until fragrant (5 minutes).
- 2Spoon butter sauce over scallops, season to taste, scatter with coriander and grill, scallop-side up, until plump and just cooked through (5 minutes). Squeeze lemon over and serve hot.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp pinot grigio. Drink suggestion by Max Allen