- 450 gm broad beans (about 1kg unpodded)
- 3 young garlic bulbs (see note), trimmed
- 1 tbsp aged Sherry vinegar
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve (¼ cup)
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 200 gm 'nduja (see note)
- 2 buffalo mozzarella (about 250gm each)
- ½ cup mint, coarsely torn (loosely packed)
- 1Blanch broad beans in salted water until bright green (1-2 minutes). Drain, refresh, drain and peel. Set aside.
- 2Crush garlic and a pinch of sea salt in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste. Coarsely crush broad beans in batches, combine in a large bowl with garlic, vinegar and half the olive oil, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Heat a char-grill pan over medium-high heat, drizzle bread with remaining oil and grill, turning once, until golden (2-3 minutes). Thickly spread toast with 'nduja, top with coarsely torn mozzarella, spoon over broad bean mixture, top with mint, drizzle with extra oil, season to taste and serve.
Note Young garlic is available from select greengrocers. 'Nduja, a spicy spreadable Calabrian salumi, is available from select delicatessens and butchers.