Leftover ham is the ideal stand-by for unexpected guests. Homemade peach relish, great cheddar and the freshest rye bread make these sandwiches much more than reassigned leftovers. Micro-cress makes a tasty and pretty garnish; wild rocket also works well.
- 300 gm mayonnaise (1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 thin slices rye bread
- 10 thick slices each leg ham and vintage cheddar
- 125 ml red wine vinegar (½ cup)
- 2 tbsp raw caster sugar
- ½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 peaches, cut into thin wedges
- 1For peach relish, stir all ingredients except peaches and 60ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, season to taste and bring to the simmer. Add peaches, stir occasionally until just tender (5-6 minutes), then transfer to a jar and refrigerate until chilled. Relish can be made up to a week ahead and will keep in the refrigerator.
- 2Combine mayonnaise, lemon rind and juice, and garlic in a bowl, season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- 3Spread rye bread with lemon-garlic mayonnaise, then layer with ham and cheddar. Top with a spoonful of peach relish, season to taste and serve scattered with micro-chard or cress.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am