This is glorious for your <a href="/classic_boiled_christmas_pudding.htm">pudding</a> (pictured). Makes about 1 litre.
- 600 ml pouring cream
- 300 ml milk
- 200 gm hazelnuts, roasted, peeled, coarsely chopped (see note)
- 6 egg yolks
- 110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar
- 60 ml Frangelico, to taste (see note)
- 1In a saucepan bring cream, milk and nuts to the boil over medium heat. Cover and cool. Strain, discarding nuts. Bring cream mixture to the boil again over medium heat.
- 2Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl, whisking until thick and pale (4-5 minutes). Pour over hot cream mixture, whisking to combine, then transfer to a clean saucepan. Stir continuously over low-medium heat until mixture thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon (7-8 minutes). Strain into a bowl placed over ice to cool and serve with classic boiled Christmas pudding.
Hazelnuts can be substituted with 2 cinnamon quills. Frangelico is a hazelnut liqueur available from select liquor stores. If unavailable, substitute with brandy.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm