You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead to soak the chickpeas.
- 250 gm dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water, drained (1¼ cups)
- 1 bunch sage, leaves picked
- 1 bunch oregano, leaves picked
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1Combine chickpeas and enough cold water to cover generously in a saucepan (do not salt water), bring to the boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low and simmer until tender (30-40 minutes). Drain, spread over a tray lined with a tea towel and set aside to dry to remove excess moisture.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat until shimmering, add half the chickpeas and shallow-fry until turning golden (3-5 minutes). Add half the herbs and half the fennel seeds, cook until fragrant (4-6 minutes), then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Transfer all ingredients to a bowl, add 1 tbsp sea salt flakes, toss to combine and serve. Herb and fennel fried salted chickpeas will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.
This recipe is from the April 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Refreshing prosecco. Drink suggestion by Max Allen