Hilopites are flat pasta squares, traditionally cut into tiny squares and used in soup. In this version, as larger squares, they become a main course.
- 500 gm plain flour (3 1/3 cups)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 120 ml milk
- 160 gm chilled butter, coarsely chopped
- 50 gm coarse fresh white breadcrumbs (¾ cup)
- To serve: coarsely grated kefalotiri and flat-leaf parsley
- 1Combine flour and 1 tsp salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add egg and milk and mix with a fork, drawing in flour from the edges as you go, until a soft dough forms (add a little extra milk if mixture is too dry). Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead until a smooth, elastic dough forms (8-10 minutes), wrap in plastic wrap and rest for 1 hour.
- 2Divide dough into 6 and, working with one piece at a time, roll out to 3mm thick (see note for ravioles recipe, above). Stand on floured trays in a single layer to dry slightly (10-15 minutes), then cut each sheet into rough 4cm squares. Transfer to a lightly floured tray. (If not using straight away, stand on a lightly floured tea towel for 2-3 days until dried, then store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.)
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Melt 30gm butter, toss in a bowl with breadcrumbs to coat evenly, season to taste and spread on an oven tray. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp (8-10 minutes). Cool and store in an airtight container until required.
- 4Cook remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, swirling pan occasionally,until nut-brown (4-5 minutes), remove from heat and keep warm.
- 5Cook pasta in batches in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just cooked (1-2 minutes), then drain and transfer to warmed plates. Spoon over burnt butter, scatter with breadcrumbs, grated kefalotiri and parsley and serve hot Chicken, egg and lemon soup
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm