The national obsession with salted caramel shows no sign of abating. In this case it's given added complexity with the floral notes of honey; use your favourite honey here. Wholemeal pastry gives a pleasing texture to this chewy little number. This recipe makes about 20 pieces.
- 130 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm honey
- 70 gm caster sugar
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 tbsp brandy
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 220 gm flaked almonds
- 80 gm melted milk chocolate, for drizzling
Brown sugar wholemeal pastry
- 250 gm wholemeal flour
- 70 gm brown sugar
- 130 gm chilled butter, diced
- 3 egg yolks
- 1For brown sugar wholemeal pastry, pulse flour, sugar and ½ tsp salt in a food processor to combine, add butter and pulse to fine crumbs. Add yolks, pulse until dough just comes together, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and form a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (1 hour).
- 2Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper, allowing paper to overhang sides slightly. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 24cm x 34cm rectangle, line base and partway up sides of prepared tin, and refrigerate to rest (30 minutes). Blind-bake until golden on the edges (8-10 minutes), then remove paper and weights, and bake until crisp and golden brown on the edges (5-6 minutes). Set aside.
- 3Stir butter, honey, sugar, crème fraîche, brandy and vanilla in a saucepan over medium-high heat until smooth. Stir in almonds and bring to the boil, then stir in 1 tsp sea salt flakes, pour onto pastry base, spread almonds over evenly, and bake, turning tin occasionally, until dark golden and caramelised (40-45 minutes). Scatter with a pinch of sea salt flakes and cool completely in tin. Drizzle with milk chocolate, refrigerate until set (20-25 minutes), then cut into bars and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am