Instead of a hot chocolate, why not try a hot caramel for a twist on the classic? Make the caramel as far ahead as you wish, keep it in the fridge and have it with the warm milk as the mood takes you.
- 350 gm caster sugar
- 100 ml pouring cream
- 2 litres full-cream milk
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthways
- 4 star anise
- To serve: finely grated nutmeg
- 1Cook sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to dissolve, swirl the pan and continue to cook until it becomes golden brown (5-10 minutes). Remove from heat, add cream; be careful, mixture will spit. Return saucepan to heat and stir until caramel dissolves.
- 2Place milk in a saucepan with vanilla bean and star anise. Warm over a low heat until milk comes almost to the boil, then strain.
- 3Spoon a little caramel into serving cups, top with milk, dust with nutmeg and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Add a splash of Armagnac. Drink suggestion by Max Allen