- 80 gm blanched almonds (½ cup)
- 300 gm plain flour (2 cups)
- 60 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 125 ml milk (½ cup)
- 115 gm white sugar
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 lemons, zested rind only (optional)
- 220 gm white sugar (1 cup)
- 320 gm pure icing sugar (2 cups)
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Spread almonds over a baking tray and bake for 7 minutes or until lightly coloured. Cool, then blend in a food processor to a coarse powder. Stir in flour and set aside.
- 2Combine butter and milk in a saucepan and stir over low heat until melted. Whisk in sugar, remove from heat and cool.
- 3Whisk in cloves, baking powder, vanilla and egg, stir into almond mix, until just combined, then chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 4Preheat oven to 160C. Roll a tablespoonful of almond mixture into a ball and place onto a baking paper-lined oven tray. Repeat with remaining mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on tray for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- 5Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar and 175ml water in a saucepan and bring
to the boil, then simmer for 3 minutes. Whisk in icing sugar and lemon rind until smooth.
- 6Immerse warm biscuits in glaze, then place on a wire rack over an oven tray to cool. Serve topped with lemon zest. Biscuits will keep in an airtight container for up to one week.