- 140 gm (1½ cups) ikan bilis, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes (see note)
- 2 long red chillies, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- ½ tsp shrimp paste
- For shallow-frying: vegetable oil
- 140 gm (1 cup) peanuts, in their skins
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- To serve: lime wedges, coriander and wedges of cabbage
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Drain ikan bilis, spread on a tray and bake until golden (8-10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, process chillies, shallot, garlic, ginger and shrimp paste in a food processor until smooth.
- 3Heat oil in a wok over high heat until hot, add peanuts and cook until golden (1-2 mintues). Transfer to a tray lined with absorbent paper with a slotted spoon and set aside. Fry ikan bilis until crisp (1 minute). Transfer to a tray lined with absorbent paper and set aside.
- 4Pour out oil leaving 40ml in wok, add reserved chilli paste and fry until it deepens in colour (3-4 minutes). Stir in sugar, then add ikan bilis and peanuts and serve with cucumber and cabbage.
Note Ikan bilis, small dried anchovies, are available from select Asian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Tiger beer. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm