- 2 desiree potatoes (about 350gm)
- 400 gm piece of butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
- 200 gm canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 60 ml vegetable oil (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 300 gm plain flour (2 cups)
- 6 eggs
- 6 wholemeal burger buns, halved
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
Mint yoghurt sauce
- 1 telegraph cucumber, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 300 ml plain yoghurt
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, finely chopped (loosely packed)
- 1Place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water, bring to the boil over high heat and boil for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, stand to cool slightly, then peel and cut
into 1cm pieces.
- 2Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat, add pumpkin and cook for 8 minutes or until just tender. Drain and add to potato, then add chickpeas, cumin and coriander and mix to just combine.
- 3Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add mustard seeds and cook until beginning to pop. Add seeds to vegetable mixture with coriander leaves, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and gently mix until combined. Using wet hands, form mixture into ½ cup patties and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Dust patties in flour, add to frying pan and cook, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden, then transfer to an absorbent paper-lined plate. Add eggs to pan and fry to your liking.
- 5For mint yoghurt sauce, combine all ingredients and season to taste.
- 6Toast cut side of burger buns, top bun halves with carrot, beetroot, patties, fried
egg and mint yoghurt sauce, sandwich and serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm