- 1 kg beef rump, cut into thirds across the grain, and thirds again until 1cm thick
- 375 ml (1½ cups) olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 140 gm (2 cups) fine fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 24 fresh bay leaves
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Trim excess fat and sinew from beef slices, then, working with one slice at a time, lay between 2 sheets of baking paper and pound to 4mm thick with a meat mallet. Set aside and repeat with remaining beef.
- 2Place 250ml olive oil into a bowl. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parsley and garlic, season to taste and mix to combine. Working with one beef slice at a time, dip into olive oil, wipe off excess, then coat in breadcrumb mixture and roll up. Skewer one beef roll horizontally through the centre, place a bay leaf on top, repeat with another beef roll and bay leaf, then place on a tray. Repeat with remaining beef slices and bay leaves, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required.
- 3Heat half the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook half the involtini, turning regularly, until just cooked through (3-5 minutes). Repeat with remaining oil and involtini, then serve immediately with lemon wedges to the side.