- 2 kg rock salt
- 18 large royal blue potatoes, scrubbed
- To serve: coarsely grated Italian cheeses, such as Montasio, provolone and pecorino pepato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely diced
- 200 gm pancetta, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.6 kg coarsely minced veal
- 1.2 kg tomato polpa (see note)
- 750 ml dry red wine
- 600 gm tomato passata
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1For Bolognese, heat oil in a very large wide saucepan, add onion, celery, pancetta and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (10-15 minutes). Add veal, polpa, wine, passata and herbs, bring to the simmer, season to taste, reduce heat to low, cook until thick (1-2 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C. Place salt on two large baking trays and place potatoes on top, then bake, turning potatoes occasionally and swapping trays once, until golden and easily pierced with a skewer
(45 minutes-1 hour).
- 3Score potatoes and serve hot, topped with Bolognese and grated cheeses.
Note Tomato polpa is available from select delicatessens; if unavailable, substitute canned crushed tomatoes.
Drink Suggestion: Full-flavoured double-malted (“doppio malto”) Italian lager. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm