If you use a small piping bag for the jam, you'll find it easier to fill the doughnuts without too much mess.
- 400 gm plain flour (2 cups)
- 10 gm dried yeast
- 50 gm caster sugar, plus extra to dust
- 150 ml milk, warmed
- 80 ml pouring cream (1/3 cup)
- 50 gm butter, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 300 gm frozen raspberries
- 150 gm caster sugar
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- Scraped seeds of ½ split vanilla bean
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 1Mix flour, yeast and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook to combine. Add warm milk, cream, butter, egg, cinnamon and a pinch of salt, and mix until a smooth dough forms. Cover bowl with a damp tea towel and stand in a warm place until doubled in size (1 hour).
- 2For raspberry jam, combine raspberries, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla seeds and 80ml water in a saucepan over low-medium heat and gently stir occasionally until a syrup forms and deepens in colour (30-40 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve, pressing the seeds to extract as much liquid as possible. You should have 300ml. Return the liquid with 1 tbsp seeds (discard remainder) to a clean pan over medium-high heat and bring to the simmer. Add the cornflour mixture and bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Remove from heat, transfer to a container and set aside to cool.
- 3Turn dough out onto a floured bench, knock back and flatten to 1cm thickness, then cut into 6cm rounds with a cutter and place on a tray to prove further (5-10 minutes).
- 4Heat oil in a deep saucepan to 175C. Deep-fry doughnuts in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and puffed (3-4 minutes on each side – take care, hot oil will spit), then drain on absorbent paper. Roll in caster sugar, then, while still warm, pierce a hole in one end and pipe raspberry mixture into the centre. Serve warm.
You can make these doughnuts a few hours before you're ready to serve so they're ready to go. Just reheat them in the oven and leave piping the jam until just before serving.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm