- 350 gm self-raising flour (2 1/3 cups)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 120 gm cold butter, coarsely chopped
- Finely grated rind 2 oranges and 1 lemon (see note)
- 175 ml buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
- To serve: Thick cream or vanilla ice-cream
- 4 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 6 mandarins
- 220 gm white sugar
- 60 ml lemon or orange liqueur (¼ cup)
- 1For citrus jam, peel and segment oranges and lemons over a bowl to catch juices, then squeeze any remaining juice from pulp, reserving seeds. Peel and segment 2 mandarins, removing seeds, and reserve. Tie up orange, mandarin and lemon seeds in a small piece of muslin and set aside. Squeeze remaining mandarins, add to orange and lemon juices and measure (you’ll need 1 cup). Combine juices and sugar in a heavy-based saucepan and bring
to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Add liqueur, citrus segments and seeds to syrup and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until syrupy. Cool completely before using.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Sift flour, sugar and ¼ tsp salt into a bowl, add butter and rind and, using fingertips, rub in until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add buttermilk and stir until
combined. Turn onto a lightly floured piece of baking paper and form into a 25cm log. Roll to a 27cm x 30cm rectangle and spread with two-thirds of the citrus jam, leaving a 3cm border. Brush border lightly with water, then roll up lengthways, using paper as a guide. Press lightly to seal joins, brush lightly with buttermilk, then place, seam-side down, on paper. Brush surface with buttermilk, then wrap paper over, folding to seal, and tie ends with string. Transfer to an oven tray and bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Unwrap, cut into slices and serve warm with extra citrus jam if desired and thick cream or ice-cream to the side.
Note Grate orange and lemon rinds for the pudding base before segmenting to use in citrus jam. Use blood orange when in season.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm