We've used Spanish flavours for our take on featherbed eggs, but you could easily go Italian with prosciutto and parmesan or English with good-quality ham from the bone and vintage cheddar. Use the best eggs you can find as they make all the difference here. You can assemble these the night before and bring to room temperature before baking.
- 12 jamón slices (see note)
- 8 thin slices of sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 50 gm butter, softened
- 10 eggs, at room temperature
- 200 ml pouring cream
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 50 gm Manchego, shaved with a vegetable peeler, plus extra to serve
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Line 4 buttered 1¾ cup-capacity shallow ovenproof dishes with jamón, overlapping slices and overhanging sides. Spread both sides of bread with butter and cut bread with a round pastry cutter to fit bases of dishes snugly. Whisk 2 eggs, cream and vinegar, season to taste and divide among dishes. Stand until bread absorbs egg mixture (8-10 minutes), then scatter with half the Manchego. Crack 2 eggs into each dish, scatter with paprika and season to taste. Place in a roasting pan and fill with enough boiling water to come halfway up sides of dishes. Bake until whites are opaque but yolks remain soft (10-12 minutes). Serve immediately.
Note Jamón is available from select delis.