- 40 gm butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100 gm flat pancetta, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300 gm vialone nano rice
- 100 ml each dry vermouth and dry white wine
- 750 ml (3 cups) chicken stock, warmed
- 40 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 pork and fennel sausages, skin removed, coarsely crumbled
- 1 bunch kale, stalks discarded, leaves torn
- 1Heat butter and half the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, pancetta and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender (10-12 minutes). Add rice, stir to coat, cook until just toasted(1 minute). Add vermouth and wine, cook until almost evaporated (5 minutes), add stock a ladleful at a time, ensuring stock is absorbed before adding more and stirring occasionally, until all is absorbed and rice is al dente (20-25 minutes). Add parmesan, keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add fennel seeds and sausage, cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and cooked through (2-4 minutes). Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, add kale to pan with 1 tbsp water, cook until tender and bright green (2-3 minutes).
- 3Divide risotto among plates, top with kale, then scatter sausage over. Serve immediately with grated parmesan.
Drink Suggestion: Valpolicella. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMargaret River travel guide: the best places to eatYesterday 10:48pm