Kingfish is perfect for this kind of raw preparation because it's such a meaty fish. Squeeze the lemon juice over just as you serve it because the lemon will start cooking the proteins straight away. The pink peppercorns need to be very fresh. If you're unsure, toast them lightly in a pan before crushing them. Alternatively, use freshly ground black peppercorns.
- 300 gm sashimi-grade kingfish, well chilled
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 1Thickly slice kingfish and arrange on a serving platter, drizzle with lemon juice and oil, then scatter with pink peppercorns, shallot and sea salt flakes and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Spanish white albariño. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersHow to make fresh pasta (it's easier than you think)Yesterday 3:00am