Noodles are made five different ways in China: pulled, cut, extruded, peeled or kneaded. For the kneaded method, small amounts of dough are spindled into small noodles; these noodles may be time-consuming to make, but they are well worth it. The texture is velvety and light, similar to that of fresh udon.
- 600 gm clams, soaked in cold water to remove grit, drained
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 10 gm (2cm piece) ginger, cut into julienne
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 24 scallops with roe
- 4 prosciutto slices, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1½ tbsp XO sauce (see note)
- 100 gm snow pea tendrils and leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine, or to taste
- 2 tsp soy sauce, or to taste
- 200 gm “00” flour
- 100 gm tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1For kneaded noodles, combine flours, half the oil and a pinch of salt in a heatproof bowl and set aside. Bring 275ml water to the boil in a saucepan and add flour mixture, then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and combined. Cover with a damp tea towel, cool slightly (5 minutes), then transfer to a work surface and knead until a smooth and elastic dough forms (5 minutes). Pinch off thumbnail-sized pieces of dough and roll with your hands into approximately 7cm-long noodles, and place on a lightly floured tray. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Cook noodles until just tender (3-5 minutes), then drain, refresh under cold running water, and transfer to a bowl, stir through remaining oil to prevent sticking, set aside.
- 2Bring 125ml water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add clams and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until clams open (2-4 minutes). Drain (discard liquid) and set aside.
- 3Heat half the oil in a large wok over high heat, add ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant (20-30 seconds). Add scallops and prosciutto and sauté until just browned (1-2 minutes), remove from wok and set aside. Heat remaining oil in wok over high heat, add XO sauce and snow pea leaves and stir-fry until starting to wilt (20-30 seconds). Add Shaoxing wine and soy sauce, scallop mixture, reserved clams and noodles, and toss until warmed through (1-2 minutes). Serve topped with extra snow pea leaves and bean sprouts.
Note The best XO sauces in Chinese grocers tend to be in jars. Look for these or use our XO sauce recipe to make your own.