Every culture has its favourite comfort food and in Egypt it's koshari. It's hard not to be intrigued by a recipe that calls for a triple carb hit - rice, pasta and lentils. Served with a simple spiced tomato sauce that's fragrant with baharat, and topped with a pile of crisp onion, no wonder it's so well loved.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 200 gm basmati rice (1 cup)
- 560 ml hot vegetable stock or water (2¼ cups)
- 250 gm brown lentils
- 100 gm small macaroni
- 20 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
Baharat tomato sauce
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2½ tsp baharat (see note)
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- 200 gm canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 1For baharat tomato sauce, heat oil in a
saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion
and garlic, and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes).
Stir in baharat and chilli flakes until fragrant, add
tomatoes, season to taste and simmer until
slightly thickened (6-7 minutes). Stir in vinegar,
check seasoning and keep warm.
- 2Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a saucepan over mediumhigh
heat, add rice and stir to coat. Season to taste,
then add stock, bring to a simmer and cover.
Reduce heat to low-medium and cook without
uncovering until rice is tender and liquid is
absorbed (12-15 minutes). Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, cook lentils in a large saucepan
of unsalted boiling water until almost tender
(6-8 minutes). Stir in pasta and cook until pasta is
al dente (6-7 minutes). Drain, then stir lentils and
pasta into rice, season to taste and keep warm.
- 4Heat butter and remaining oil in a saucepan
over medium-high heat, add onion and fry until
golden brown and crisp (8-10 minutes).
- 5To serve, divide lentil mixture among bowls,
spoon tomato sauce on top and scatter with
Note Baharat is a Middle Eastern spice blend consisting of seven spices or more. It’s available from Middle Eastern delicatessens and Herbie’s Spices (herbies.com.au).
Drink Suggestion: Nutty dark porter Drink suggestion by Max Allen