- 125 ml milk (½ cup)
- 40 ml vegetable oil (2 tbsp)
- 30 ml honey (1½ tbsp)
- 675 gm plain flour (4½ cups)
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 9 egg yolks
- 220 gm raw caster sugar (1 cup)
- ½ tsp finely grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 ml each of Cointreau and brandy
- 1 orange, finely grated rind and juice only
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped seeds only
- 180 gm unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 75 gm raisins (½ cup)
- 75 gm finely chopped almonds (½ cup)
- 1 eggwhite
- 1Place milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Add vegetable oil and honey and stir to dissolve. Gradually stir in ½ cup flour, stirring until smooth, then remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
- 2Combine yeast and 1/3 cup lukewarm water in a large bowl and stir to dissolve. Stand for 10 minutes or until foamy. Add milk mixture and stir to combine. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place until mixture has doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick, add spices, vanilla extract, Cointreau, brandy, orange rind and juice, vanilla seeds, butter, raisins and almonds and stir to combine.
- 4In a separate, clean bowl, whisk eggwhite until soft peaks form and fold through egg yolk mixture, then add yeast mixture and stir in remaining flour until well combined. Transfer mixture to a well-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- 5Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 28cm loaf pan with butter. Place dough into pan and press down. Cover and stand until risen slightly (about 1 hour). Bake until golden brown and an inserted skewer withdraws clean (about 1 hour), turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve sliced, spread with <a href="pashka.htm">pashka</a>.
Drink Suggestion: Young vintage port. Drink suggestion by Max Allen