You'll need to begin this recipe the day before.
- 800 gm lamb neck, bone in, cut into 4 pieces (ask your butcher to do this)lamb neck, bone in, cut into 4 pieces (ask your butcher to do this)
- 60 gm pearl barley, soaked in water overnight
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 small turnip, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, washed and thinly sliced
- 350 gm white cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 6 celery leaves
- 2 stalks flat-leaf parsley
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1In a large saucepan combine lamb and barley with 3 litres cold water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 2For bouquet garni, wrap herbs in muslin, tie with kitchen twine and add to pan.
- 3Season broth with sea salt and simmer, skimming occasionally, for 1 hour, then add vegetables except cabbage and simmer for 2 hours.
- 4Remove lamb from broth, remove meat and return to soup, add cabbage and simmer for 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and serve scattered with parsley.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am