It's really hard to go past a sausage roll, the stalwarts of the Australian party scene. These flavours are a new take on the classic beef and tomato sauce. They can be made ahead, frozen and then cooked once guests arrive.
- 2 small carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp currants
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 600 gm coarsely minced lamb
- 200 gm coarsely minced chicken
- 1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 40 gm (½ cup) sourdough breadcrumbs
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, plus 1 extra, lightly beaten for eggwash
- 2 sheets butter puff pastry (375gm each; see note)
- 2 tbsp nigella seeds
- 250 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint, coarsely chopped, plus extra to serve
- To serve: finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus extra
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine carrot and half the oil in a bowl, season to taste, spread over a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover loosely with foil and roast until tender (30-35 minutes). Remove foil and roast until very tender and golden brown (8-10 minutes). Cool, then process in a small food processor and set aside.
- 2Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat, sauté onion until softened and translucent (6-7 minutes). Set aside to cool. Combine currants, vinegar and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl and set aside to soak until plump (15 minutes), then drain.
- 3Combine lamb, chicken, parsley, breadcrumbs, garlic, spices, lemon rind, egg, carrot and onion in a bowl, season to taste and mix well.
- 4Roll each pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick. Form a 2.5cm-thick cylinder of lamb mixture on each sheet of pastry 1.5cm from the edge, brush pastry with eggwash, then roll to enclose, press to seal and trim at seam. Transfer to a tray, refrigerate to chill and firm (30 minutes), then trim ends and cut each roll into 5cm lengths. Place on baking trays lined with baking paper, score tops with a sharp knife, brush with eggwash, scatter with nigella seeds and bake until golden and cooked through (25-30 minutes).
- 5Meanwhile for yoghurt sauce, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and stir to combine. Serve scattered with extra mint and rind with hot sausage rolls.
Note Makes 24 sausage rolls. We prefer to use Carême puff pastry, which comes in 375gm sheets. If it's unavailable, use another good-quality butter puff pastry.
Drink Suggestion: A long-neck of Melbourne Bitter. Drink suggestion by Max Allen