This pita bread is based on a recipe in Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbook The Bread Bible. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 125 ml olive oil (½ cup)
- 1 cup (loosely packed) mint, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dried mint
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 2 lamb shoulders (about 1kg each), trimmed, cut into 7cm pieces
- To serve: Greek salad
- 6 gm dried yeast
- 335 gm plain flour (2¼ cups)
- 160 gm wholemeal flour (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Yoghurt, tahini and garlic sauce
- 200 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- 50 gm tahini
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1Combine oil, mint, garlic, dried mint and lemon rind in a large non-reactive container, add lamb, toss to coat and refrigerate overnight for flavours to develop.
- 2For pita bread, combine yeast, 300ml water and a pinch of sugar in a jug and set aside until starting to foam (3-5 minutes). Combine flours and 2 tsp salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, add yeast mixture and oil and knead until smooth (7-10 minutes). Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled in size (1-2 hours, or refrigerate overnight and bring to room temperature before rolling). Preheat oven to 225C. Divide dough into 8 and roll each out on a lightly floured surface to a 1.5cm-thick round, then rest for 10 minutes. Heat an oven tray or pizza stone in oven, place 2 dough rounds carefully on tray, spray with water and bake until golden and puffed (5-7 minutes). Repeat with remaining dough rounds and set aside.
- 3Heat a charcoal barbecue to low heat. Thread lamb onto long metal skewers and grill, turning occasionally, until cooked to your liking (45-55 minutes for medium), then set aside to rest (15 minutes).
- 4Meanwhile for tahini, yoghurt and garlic sauce, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- 5Slice lamb and serve with salad, yoghurt, tahini and garlic sauce and pita bread.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am