Truly greater than the sum of its parts, this roast chicken is basted by the lardo and absorbs the cured lard flavour.
- 1 whole chicken (about 1.8kg)
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 20 thin slices lardo (see note)
- To serve: green salad
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Pat chicken cavity and skin dry with absorbent paper. Season cavity to taste and fill with lemon and thyme.
- 2Place chicken in a roasting pan, season skin to taste and lay lardo slices over breast and legs, overlapping slightly. Roast until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer (40 minutes-1 hour). Serve hot with a green salad.
Note Lardo is salted, cured pork back-fat, available from Italian delicatessens and butchers.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesLamb rack with piquillo peppers, rocket and burghulYesterday 5:00am