This iced milk confection is similar to ice-cream.
- 750 ml milk (3 cups)
- 250 ml double cream (1 cup)
- 165 gm white sugar, plus 2 tbsp extra (¾ cup)
- 1 lemon, rind only (removed with a peeler)
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 4 eggwhites
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- To serve: ground cinnamon
- 160 gm unblanched almonds (1 cup)
- 110 gm white sugar (½ cup)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1Combine milk, cream, sugar, lemon rind and cinnamon quills in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes to infuse. Cool and refrigerate, then remove lemon rind and cinnamon quills and discard. Whisk eggwhites and lemon juice until soft peaks form, add remaining sugar and whisk to stiff peaks, then fold through cold milk mixture.
- 2Freeze mixture in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions, then store in a freezer until required.
- 3For candied almonds, combine all ingredients in a heavy-based frying pan and stir over high heat for 5-10 minutes or until dark caramel. Spread mixture over a baking paper-lined oven tray, separating almonds, and cool. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- 4Spoon leche merengada into glasses, scatter with chopped candied almonds and serve immediately.