- 20 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 60 ml dry white wine
- 500 gm mascarpone
- To serve: finely chopped chives
- 1¾ tsp dried yeast
- 350 gm bread flour
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add leek, garlic and lemon rind and stir occasionally until tender (5-6 minutes). Add lemon juice and wine, simmer until liquid is completely reduced (2-3 minutes), then stir occasionally until leek is lightly caramelised (3-4 minutes). Set aside to cool, process in a food processor until finely chopped, season to taste, stir in mascarpone to just combine (don’t overmix or mixture may split) and refrigerate until required. Scatter with chives to serve. Makes 2 cups and will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for a week.
- 2For pepper wafers, stir yeast and 250ml lukewarm water in a large bowl to dissolve, then set aside in a warm place until foaming (4-5 minutes). Stir in flour, oil, pepper and 1 tsp sea salt, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (4-5 minutes). Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled in size (30-40 minutes). Preheat oven to 200C. Knock back dough, divide into 8 pieces and roll out each on a lightly floured surface to a 2mm-thick oval shape. Place each on an oven tray lined with baking paper, prick with a fork, drizzle with extra oil and scatter with sea salt and pepper. Bake in batches, swapping trays halfway through, until light golden (8-10 minutes). Remove from trays, place straight on oven racks and bake until golden (2-3 minutes). Set aside to cool completely, then break into pieces. Wafers will keep in an airtight container for 5 days.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm