- 440 gm caster sugar (2 cups)
- Finely grated rind of 4 lemons, plus thinly sliced lemon to serve
- ¼ cup basil, plus extra leaves to serve (loosely packed)
- 500 ml lemon juice (2 cups)
- To serve: ice cubes and soda water
- 1Stir sugar, lemon rind and 500ml water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, simmer until slightly reduced (6-8 minutes), then set aside to cool. Add basil and refrigerate to infuse (2 hours). Strain through a coarse sieve (discard leaves), add lemon juice and refrigerate until required.
- 2Fill glasses with ice, add lemon and basil concentrate to taste, top with soda water and serve with lemon slices and extra basil.
This recipe is from the February 2013 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm