- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 40 gm raw sugar
- 200 gm (about half a sheet) store-bought shortcrust pastry (see note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with milk for egg wash
- 1Dry-roast fennel seeds in a frying pan until fragrant (30 seconds). Coarsely pound using a mortar and pestle, then combine with sugar and rind and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Roll pastry on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick. Cut with a floured pasta cutter into rectangles about 2.5cm x 4cm. Transfer to a tray lined with baking paper. Brush with egg wash, scatter with fennel and sugar mixture and bake until golden and crisp (6-8 minutes). Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3Serve with ricotta, honeycomb and chilled grappa.
Note We use Carême shortcrust pastry. Biscotti will keep in an airtight container for three days.