- 330 gm plain flour
- 120 gm raw caster sugar
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 200 gm salted butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 180 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon and juice of 1
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Process flour, sugar, lemon rind and ½ tsp sea salt in a food processor to combine, add butter and process until fine crumbs form (1-2 minutes). Add yolks and lemon juice, process to combine, turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (30 seconds). Roll out on a lightly floured piece of baking paper to 6mm thick, refrigerate to rest (30 minutes), then cut out 6cm-diameter rounds with a fluted cutter, re-rolling scraps. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper, bake until golden on the edges (15-20 minutes), then set aside to cool.
- 2For lemon glaze, stir icing sugar, lemon juice and enough water to form a thin icing in a bowl. Combine lemon rind and 1 tsp salt in a separate small bowl.
- 3Dip warm biscuits in lemon glaze, shake off excess and transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper. Scatter each with a little lemon salt, stand until set (1 hour), then serve. Biscuits will keep stored in a single layer in an airtight container for 3 days.
This recipe is from the September 2012 issue of .