The addition of finely ground almonds may rattle the purists, but it adds a wonderful nutty texture and flavour to the shortbread. For a more classic shortbread, use rice flour instead.
- 300 gm butter, chilled, diced
- 300 gm plain flour (2 cups)
- 75 gm caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 70 gm blanched almonds, finely ground in a mortar and pestle
- 1Combine butter and flour in a bowl and rub butter into flour with fingertips. Add sugar, ground almonds and lemon rind and stir to combine. Transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper and pat to form a 30cm round. Pinch edges, score into portions and refrigerate to rest (2 hours).
- 2Preheat oven to 160C. Bake shortbread until light golden (20-30 minutes). Set aside to cool on tray (5 minutes), scatter extra sugar over, set aside to cool completely, then serve. Shortbread will keep stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry, dark place for 3-4 days.