- 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken stock (see note)
- 100 gm small green lentils
- 2 each rosemary and thyme sprigs
- 2 radicchio heads, outer leaves discarded, inner leaves thinly sliced
- ½ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 30 gm parmesan, finely grated
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (3-4 minutes). Add stock, lentils, and herbs and bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender (15-20 minutes). Remove herbs, stir through radicchio and parsley, season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for parmesan crisps, preheat oven to 200C. Scatter parmesan in thin, 6cm-diameter circles on a baking-paper-lined oven tray, season with freshly ground black pepper and bake until golden and crisp (8-10 minutes). Cool on tray, then remove carefully. Serve immediately with lentil and radicchio brodo in small cups, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
Note If you would like to make a vegetarian brodo, use good quality vegetable stock, or even water.