It may seem unusual to top a hot soup with a cool slaw, but we love how the earthy lentils get a burst of freshness and texture from the beetroot. Together they make these bowls meals in themselves.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100 gm speck or smoky bacon, diced
- 200 gm canned chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 litres chicken stock (6 cups)
- 350 gm small green or black lentils
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 3 beetroot, trimmed
- ¼ Spanish onion, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
- ½ tsp dry-roasted caraway seeds (see note)
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. For the slaw, place 2 beetroot in a small roasting pan, add enough water to cover base of pan, cover with foil and roast until beetroot are tender when pierced with a skewer (50 minutes to 1 hour). Cool, then peel and coarsely grate into a bowl. Peel remaining beetroot, cut into julienne and add to bowl with remaining ingredients. Season and toss well.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add celery, carrot, onion and garlic and sauté until tender (5-6 minutes). Stir in speck, fry until fat begins to render (3-4 minutes), then add tomato and cook until beginning to darken (3-4 minutes). Add stock, lentils, thyme and bay leaf, bring to a simmer, half-cover with a lid, and cook until lentils are tender (40-45 minutes).
- 3Pulse the soup to a coarse purée with a hand-held blender, leaving plenty of lentils whole. Stir in parsley, season generously to taste and serve hot topped with beetroot slaw and extra parsley.
To dry-roast spices, cook the spices in a dry pan, stirring continuously over medium-high heat until they're fragrant. The cooking time varies depending on the spices used.
Drink Suggestion: Silky pinot noir Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Hotel AwardsAustralia's Hotel of the Year for 2018 is revealedYesterday 10:00pm