This is along the lines of a Caesar salad. Choose a lettuce that will keep its crispness against the dressing, such as baby cos, baby gem or iceberg.
- 4 baby red cos, cut into wedges
- 80 gm pecorino pepato, thinly shaved
- 3 egg yolks
- 12 small anchovy fillets
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- rind of ¼ lemon, Finely grated
- 250 ml (1 cup) olive oil
Crisp capers and thyme
- vegetable oil, For shallow-frying
- ¼ cup capers in vinegar, drained
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 1For anchovy dressing, blend yolks, anchovies, mustard, vinegar and lemon juice and rind in a blender until smooth. Gradually add olive oil until thick, add 2-3 tbsp hot water to thin to drizzling consistency, season to taste and set aside. Makes about 500ml.
- 2For crisp capers and thyme, heat oil in a small frying pan over high heat, add capers and thyme and fry until crisp (1-2 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper.
- 3Arrange lettuce wedges on a platter, drizzle with anchovy dressing to taste, then scatter with pecorino pepato and crisp capers and thyme. Serve with extra dressing.