- 125 ml dry white wine
- 1 kg littleneck clams (see note)
- 200 gm dried linguine
- 2 pimientos de Padrón (see note)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon and juice of ½
- A good dash of Tabasco
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp butter, coarsely chopped
- 40 gm fine sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1For toasted breadcrumbs, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat, add breadcrumbs, season to taste and stir until golden and crisp (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2Bring half the wine to the simmer in a large glass-lidded saucepan over high heat. Add clams, shaking pan to coat clams in wine. As clams open, remove them with tongs onto a plate (2-6 minutes). Strain cooking liquid and reserve. When clams are cool enough to handle, use a small knife to remove meat from shells and set aside (discard shells).
- 3Cook pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water until just al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain and keep warm.
- 4Meanwhile, cook chillies in a frying pan over medium-high heat until blistered and slightly softened (8-10 minutes), remove from pan and thickly slice. Add half the olive oil to pan with spring onions, stir until tender (4-5 minutes), add remaining white wine and simmer for 1 minute. Add reserved clam cooking liquid, clams, pasta, chillies and remaining olive oil and stir frequently until well coated (1 minute). Add lemon rind and juice, Tabasco, extra spring onion and parsley, top with toasted breadcrumbs and serve hot.
Littleneck clams from New Zealand are available, prepared and packaged, from select fishmongers. If they’re unavailable, substitute vongole, soaked in cold salted water for 30 minutes then drained. Pimientos de Padrón are available from select grocers, or you can substitute another small mild green chilli.
This recipe is from the March 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: A pilsner-style lager. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm