- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small (about 500gm) eggplant, cut into 1cm thick batons
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 baby red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary
- 400 gm dried linguine
- 250 gm caciotta, coarsely crumbled (see note)
- 1 cup basil leaves, coarsely torn (loosely packed)
- 40 gm pine nuts, toasted (¼ cup)
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 1Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add half the eggplant and cook for 10 minutes or until golden, drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with 2 tbsp olive oil and remaining eggplant.
- 2Heat remaining olive oil over medium heat, add garlic, chilli and rosemary and cook for 3 minutes or until golden, then return eggplant to pan.
- 3Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, drain, and return to pan. Add eggplant mixture, caciotta, basil, pine nuts and lemon rind, toss to combine and serve immediately.
Note Caciotta is a semi-soft cheese made from cow's and/or ewe's milk. It is available from Paesanella Cheese, Fratelli Fresh and select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute with ricotta.