The lobster, also known as crayfish in some states, used in these recipes is green, meaning live and uncooked. Please refer to our Masterclass for tips on selecting green lobster and also the method for killing lobster humanely. We use green lobster because the meat is more tender and delicate and it guarantees the freshest product.
- 1 green lobster (about 750gm)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 green onions
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 120 gm (1 cup) frozen baby peas, defrosted
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Halve lobster lengthways with a sharp knife, remove tail meat and coarsely chop, refrigerate until required. Place shells on an oven tray and roast until orange in colour (15-20 minutes).
- 2Transfer shells to a large saucepan, add onion, green onion, garlic, spices and 2½ litres water. Bring to the boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer until stock is well flavoured (1¼-1½ hours).
- 3Strain stock through a fine sieve into a saucepan (discard solids), bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, add peas and cook until just tender (1-2 minutes).
- 4Divide lobster meat among bowls, ladle over broth with peas and serve immediately, scattered with tarragon.
Drink Suggestion: Pale rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen